Saturday, April 8, 2017

Directior's Commentary CCR: Beginning Stages of Script

        I have begun the work on my CCR, gathering clips for inserts and writing a script of what I would like to say in it. Tomorrow, I will finalize all required aspects of the script, film, and get the clips and images I want to include sorted out, but for now, here is what I have so far.

Hello! My name is Alexa and I am going to talk to you about my final production called Taking Back Jamie.

The inspiration for this project stemmed from my love of action movies that has grown over the past few years. I was not always into action films, I was actually much more of a Disney kid myself [disney clip]. And I still am, don’t get me wrong, Disney is amazing. But, the first time I really began to broaden my horizons in the film world was probably when I was 15 and had my own profile on the family Netflix account. I started watching dramas, psychological thrillers, and, you guessed it, action and adventure movies [clip]. I noticed, however, that a lot of movies, action or not, didn't have female leads; and if they did, women were often overshadowed by a male character or always on the search for love.

Then, I watched Kill Bill[movie poster, clip from trailer]. This film, well actually both films as there is a volume one and two, [clip] was one of the best things I had seen in a long time. It had all the things I love about action movies; interesting characters, an in depth back story, awesome fighting scenes, like this one[clip]. That is such a cool scene. Anyway, this movie had everything I loved about action flicks, plus a fierce female lead who was not shown as weak or in desperate need of romance; she had a real cause to fight for.

So, for my film, I wanted to showcase a female lead with pure intentions and the drive to do right by her own morals, while still embracing action conventions like combat scenes and a fast paced story. I wanted a female character to be represented as more than a supporting role who is there to simply look good. I also wanted to turn the damsel in distress archetype on its head and have a woman save a male character, so that is why Mariel, the protagonist, is saving her little brother. Also, she is saving her younger sibling, who wouldn't want to root for this girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Creative Critical Reflection!

        Since this is the post containing my Creative Critical Reflection, I would like to take this time to reflect. I can hardly believe...