Saturday, March 25, 2017

Audience and Statistics

   I spoke briefly in my first post about the basics of the action movie genre and the audience it generates. Now that I have a more solid hold on what my film is about, I can speak specifically about my target audience and the probability of this being a successful production.
       As I stated before, this is an action movie. The conventions I will be embracing include non-stop action, a central character going against all odds, and the idea of an extremely powerful and evil antagonist. I will be going against the common use of a male protagonist, the idea of a plot driven rather than character driven plot, and the use of a deep bond between two characters (Mariel and Jamie, and the other teens with their younger siblings), not a generic “superficial” relationship seen in most action flicks.
       Since the core values of the genre are still being upheld, my target audience
will consist of the 61% of American moviegoers that enjoy action-adventure films. Because “African American moviegoers (aged 12 and older) are 26% more likely than the average to name action and adventure as their favorite genre,” (Marketing Charts), the film must be appealing to them; but, action is enjoyed by so many, that as long as it follows conventions, like it will, I have a broad audience. Moviegoers will most likely be members of the middle class; and because the protagonist is a teenage girl, the age range can go from about 15-45. The movie appeals to teenagers because they are represented, in a powerful stature, by Mariel and her gang of teens trying to save their siblings, and it appeals to adults because of the touching story of finding the one you love by any means.
       In terms of revenue,
my film has great potential, with action movies raking in a total of $2,296,781,414 in the Box Office as of 2016. The action adventure genre holds great promise, and my film has the prospect of success.

Dercksen, Daniel. “Genre and Genre Conventions.” The Writing Studio, 3 Nov. 2015, writingstudio.co.za/what-type-of-story-are-you-writing/. Accessed 25 Mar. 2017.

February 22, 2013 - by MarketingCharts staff. “Action Adventure The Preferred Genre For The Movie Theater Experience.” MarketingCharts, 22 Feb. 2013, www.marketingcharts.com/traditional/action-adventure-the-preferred-genre-for-the-movie-theater-experience-27250/. Accessed 25 Mar. 2017.

“Box Office Performance for Action Movies in 2016.” The Numbers - Where Data and Movies Meet, www.the-numbers.com/market/2016/genre/Action. Accessed 25 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Creative Critical Reflection!

        Since this is the post containing my Creative Critical Reflection, I would like to take this time to reflect. I can hardly believe...