Sunday, March 12, 2017

Case Study #1

Kill Bill Vol.1 (Quentin Tarantino, 2003) is an action movie which includes scenes of combat, vehicle chases, and interesting visuals. I was drawn to this film for several reasons.
Quentin Tarantino is known for his unique way of telling stories, both with content and technique. I admire him because he does not only direct his productions, but writes them as well. Of course, this is what I will be doing, and this little fact is simply comfort that it is possible to do so.
My main interest in Kill Bill Vol.1 is the fact that the protagonist is female, which is exactly what I would like to include in my opening. Throughout the production, The Bride, played by Uma Thurman, is shown enacting her violent revenge upon an assassination group that has done her wrong. Thurman is shown as strong and capable, and true to an action film’s nature, often demolishing her enemies in combat.
While I will not be including fight scenes in my opening, I can create suspenseful storytelling. In the final scene of the film, The Bride is shown creating her “Death List Five,” the compilation of people she wishes to execute.
Although this is the end of the film, it could very well be the beginning. I like how Tarantino includes a voiceover, saying an intriguing and philosophical metaphor that catches the audience’s ear. The use of cutaways to people speaking about The Bride build suspense- who are they? What are they going to do? I also appreciated the variety of camera angles to show point of view of her writing, a close up of her face, and a wider shot of her surroundings to keep up visual interest. I could use some, if not all, of these techniques to allude to conflict in my opening; especially since the dialogue indicates a rough road ahead for everyone involved.

“Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003).” IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/title/tt0266697/. Accessed 12 Mar. 2017.

“Quentin Tarantino.” IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/name/nm0000233/?ref_=nv_sr_1. Accessed 12 Mar. 2017.

“Uma Thurman.” IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/name/nm0000235/?ref_=nv_sr_1. Accessed 12 Mar. 2017.

Miramax. “Kill Bill: Volume 1 | 'Death List' (HD) - Uma Thurman, Daryl Hannah | MIRAMAX.”YouTube, YouTube, 2 Jan. 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnoT6_LNUjA. Accessed 12 Mar. 2017.

Giphy. “Death GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY.” GIPHY, 17 Sept. 2015, giphy.com/gifs/death-oren-ishii-7XGfpuZebH5JK. Accessed 12 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Creative Critical Reflection!

        Since this is the post containing my Creative Critical Reflection, I would like to take this time to reflect. I can hardly believe...